Coffee Enema as liver detox and for general health
Coffee has a distinct, roasted warm scent that can wake up anyone in seconds. Java is percolated, pressed, and pressurized as espresso. We drink it by the ton-- Norway alone imports 42 tons annually! As many coffee drinkers know, the natural diuretic effect coffee has can send you to the restroom more often than usual.
A Coffee enema is great to help the liver detox and is an integral part of the Gerson Therapy. It is unique in the way that it interacts with your liver. The science can seem daunting, and put simply, a coffee enema contains similar diuretic effects that we feel upon drinking it. The caffeine in conjunction with other chemicals actually relaxes your muscles and blood vessels. Because your blood vessels, and therefore, your body physiologically loosens up, your ability to cycle out toxins hastens. Your liver and other detoxing organs react and produce more material to help the process along and your small intestine becomes flooded with waste that will be eliminated through your bowel.
Coffee Enemas have been used for over a hundred years as a generalized detoxification procedure. It is a common herbal remedy that has been suggested by holistic and alternative medicine professionals for many years. Coffee enemas stimulate the liver and gallbladder to release stored toxins and wastes and liver function is enhanced.
The effects of a coffee enema are different than a saline enema. The most important difference between a saline enema and a coffee enema is the presence of caffeine in the coffee. Caffeine, theophylline and theobromine, combine to stimulate the relaxation of smooth muscles causing dilatation of blood vessels and bile ducts.
There is a direct communication of veins called the enterohepatic circulation. Have you ever felt sick just before having a bowel movement, when stool material has just moved into the rectum for elimination? As soon as the material is evacuated, you no longer feel sick. This is due of the toxic quality of the material and the enterohepatic circulation coming into play. Because of this, it is important to evacuate when you have the urge. The rectum should usually be empty.
This circulatory system enables toxins to be sent directly to the liver for detoxification, rather than circulating them through the rest of the body and all of its vital organs including the brain. This system of veins carries rectal/sigmoid toxins directly to the liver for detoxification.
This means that the coffee is absorbed into the hemorrhoidal vein, then taken up to the liver by the portal vein where it becomes a very strong detoxicant. It causes the liver to produce more bile (which contains processed toxins) and moves bile out toward the small intestine for elimination.
The coffee contains some alkaloids which stimulate the production of glutathione-S-transferase, an enzyme used by the liver to make the detoxification pathways run. It is pivotal in the formation of more glutathione, one of the main conjugation chemicals, enabling toxins to be eliminated via the bile into the small intestine.
So in other words, a coffee enema speeds up the detoxification process and minimizes the backlog of yet to be detoxified substances because the enzymes in coffee, known as palmitates, help the liver carry away the toxins in bile acid. With the bile ducts dilated, bile carries toxins away to the gastro-intestinal tract. Simultaneously, peristaltic activity is encouraged because of the flooding of the lower colon. Thus, when the colon is evacuated, the toxins and bile are carried out of the body.
This process seems to free up the liver to process more incoming toxic materials that have accumulated in the organs, tissues and bloodstream.
* Make a Coffee Concentrate: (enough for 8 enemas):
- 1. Boil 2 litre of purified water
- 2. add 340 gr ground organic coffee
- 3. simmer for 1/2 hour
- 4. cool, then strain
- 5. reconstitute to 2 litre
- 6. put into 2x1 litre glass bottles (ex milk or juice bottles) mark bottles at 250mls with marker!
*Prepare the Coffee Enema Formula:
- 1.Take 250mls of Coffee Concentrate
- 2.Add enough warm purified water to make p to one litre
* Hang the enema kit on a tap or door know so that the outlet of douche is approx. 40 - 60 cm above your body (lying down).
* Make sure the valve tap is closed.
* Pour the 1 litre Coffee Enema into the douche container.
* Open the valve tap to clear all air out of the tubing, being careful not to lose coffee, then turn the valve off.
* Place a blanket and towel on the floor
* Lubricate the tip of catheter
* Lie on your right side, insert the tip of the catheter (approx 2-3 inches) with both legs drawn close to the abdomen to allow the fluid to run into the bowel slowly. You can also try lying on your back.
* Use the tap to turn off during use (eg. if you get cramping or the feeling that you are full)
* The fluid should be retained approx 15 minutes before elimination.
Do this once a day after your normal bowel motion. A enema should not replace your own urge to go to the toilet!
If you have any doubts about the self-healing power of your body,consult your naturopath or health practitioner for advise!